Next stop Europe

Hot on the heels of our successful pro-capitalism activism I’m today starting this blog’s push on Europe. Like you, I read Richard Carey’s alert that the vote on whether to allow us to vote on Europe has moved to Monday. I’m sympathetic to the needs to appear democratic but voting on whether to have a vote just seems ridiculous, especially on this issue of our sovereignty which should be an obvious candidate for a referendum.

As citizens in a democratic system we are supposed to submit to the will of our neighbours, as determined by the people they elect to represent them. This works because, we suppose, our neighbours will want roughly the same things as we do. However, submitting to the will of the French, the German and Greek voters is – even in our globalised economy – too much of a stretch for me.

Europeans do not want the same things as me, or you. I cannot speak for all brits, or for all Europeans, but I don’t think the social democracies of Europe value their liberty in the same way we do, they prefer a larger state and more “well-intended” interference. If they preferred a smaller state I, like much of the political left in this country, might prefer to merge with Europe for the minor bureaucratic efficiencies that would bring but merger with Europe now would be an intellectual and political victory for a movement whose policies are utterly mistaken. We cannot allow them that progress.

For that reason, I’ve suspended the advertising on this blog in favour of a new widget. A call to action in every sense of the word. You can see it in the top right corner of the page. Put your post code in the text box and press “Find your MP” to find them on the Write To Them website. That website will walk you through the process of sending your MP an email letting them know your thoughts on the EU Referendum issue.

Do it now, by Monday it could be too late.

Simon is a London based IT contractor and the proprietor of Libertarian Home. Working with logic and cause-and-effect each day he was naturally attracted to nerdy libertarianism and later to harshly logical Objectivism. Find him on Google+

Tags:

7 comments for “Next stop Europe

1. Oct 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm

“However, submitting to the will of the French, the German and Greek voters is – even in our globalised economy – too much of a stretch for me.”

I don’t think we’re submitting to French, German etc voters. They have as little to do with it as our voters. To be honest, I think just as many British voters believe in the big government as elsewhere, with the added vice of believing the government shall be obeyed, unlike our Mediterranean cousins who are happier to bend the rules.

2. Oct 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm

What I just sent to my MP:

I am writing to you regarding the debate being held this Monday on an EU referendum. Over 100,000 people signed a petition to get this debated in the house, so for the leader of your party to order a three-line whip to vote against the motion seems perverse.

What is the point in having petitions if you are going to ignore the issue raised?

Whatever your feeling on this isse, I hope you would be willing to vote with regard to your constituents view on this issue rather than blinding obeying the whips.

• Oct 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Had a reply today:

Dear Mr Janes Thank you for your email. I understand the strength of public opinion on this matter and you’ll therefore be pleased to know that I was the (redacted) person to co-sign the motion to be debated in Parliament, so you can be assured of my support.

Best wishes

3. pagar
    Oct 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Lol, I never thought of you as a Little Englander, Simon!!! (In fact I know you’re not).

The problem is not European government, the problem is overbearing and intrusive government, from whatever quarter.

It is not the structure of democracy that is the issue, it is the lack of constraint on the product of the results.

4. James
    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm

” I don’t think the social democracies of Europe value their liberty in the same way we do, they prefer a larger state and more “well-intended” interference”

That’s an understandable view, however the Greeks – regardless of their love of welfare – are instinctively hostile to the state’s prying eyes in citizens’ affairs. In the run-up to the Olympic Games in 2004, Athens’ city council had to back down over the use of CCTV, given the level of outrage caused by such an intrusion. Similarly, an ‘eff you’ position is taken by a large number of Greeks over things like smoking (I think I’m right in saying that Greece has some of the highest proportions of smokers in the EU).

Of course, this doesn’t mean that there aren’t contradictions (there are many, as we know), but I don’t think we should easily equate European social democracy (which I think we are actually quite attracted to in this country) with a lack of a taste for liberty.

5. Ben Lodge
    Oct 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

My MP is a Lib Dem, is there even any point in trying to reason with him on the EU issue?

6. James
    Oct 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Not much of a ground-breaking initiative, but a small opportunity to stick two fingers up to those who ignored us yesterday: https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20133