I suspect I’m late to this one, but Fair Fuel UK are planning promising day of activism next Wednesday the 7th. This is how it works:
Sometimes, it’s important that the politicians actually get to meet the people suffering because of an issue.
To that end, we are holding a mass lobby of Parliament during the afternoon of Wednesday March 7th. As a citizen, you have the right to enter Parliament and ask to see your MP. This right is centuries old. When lots of people agree to do this on the same day about the same issue is called a ‘mass lobby’
To get involved, start by filling out the form on Fair Fuel web site and they will help you to excercise this right.
Things to talk about
- Get there early, exchange notes with fellow activists and listen to the guidance on offer from the Fair Fuel campaign. They’ve put a lot of effort into this, they’ll have an idea of what is going to be effective.
- Keep it real. Exagerating or misrepresenting your case will undermine the message. You may feel sympathy for others, but your genuine personal experiences will be most difficult to dismiss.
- Remember to challenge them on the basics. How dare they impose these punative taxes?
- Do they think we even accept that we have a right to own and use cars? (yes you do)
- Ask them if they are familiar with the research showing motorists are over taxed, even taking into account road costs and alleged climate impact?
- Know the theory about the impact on the economy.
- Finally, they might claim (probably when they have given up arguing and want you to go) that something or other needs paying for. You are not a means of fulfilling the needs of others. You’re you and have your own needs and your own form of happiness to aspire to, are they really suggesting otherwise?