8 comments for “Thank you, Prime Minister. That’ll do

1. lojolondon
    May 15, 2013 at 8:42 am

I have to say I always knew Cast-Iron Cameron would disappoint us regarding the EU referendum, and now we know how. The Bill says there will be a referendum, but does not specify any actions to be taken when the result is known. Just look at the failed AV Bill by way of contrast, where it lists actions to be taken if more ‘yes’ votes are realised.

So the way is open for the powers that be to insist on another referendum, or to do nothing, for example. My prediction is that this attempt to sway UKIP voters will really backfire badly, as they realise they are being lied to again.

Cast-Iron Cameron – puts the ‘rust’ into ‘trust’

2. May 15, 2013 at 11:51 am

Well said. This promise isn’t worth anything, and will not win back support. I think the tories may be bust forever now. Cameron thought he could have his cake and eat it too, but no.

3. May 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Hmm, yes, the Hannan/Carswell twins do seem to have taken fright. They clearly don’t want Cameron kicked out early. Neither do I frankly, but I do enjoy watching him squirm.

4. May 15, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I fear Hannan and Carswell are committed to stoically going down with the Tory ship, believing that even though the party has betrayed them, they will not betray it.

5. John Mann
    May 15, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I’m not particularly surprised at the Hannan / Carswell line.

Remember, they are not ordinary citizens. They are MPs who have chosen to take the Conservative whip. They knew that taking the Conservative whip would involve compromises. They are not naive – they know what the Conservative Party is like. They know that politics is the art of the possible. And they know that the Conservative Party values party loyalty very, very highly.

This is all about tactics. At the moment, Carsewell and Hannan don’t hold a particularly strong hand. They have, in their wisdom, chosen a particular course – undoubtedly after weighing the alternatives. In the end of the day, it may not achieve much, but it is probably more likely to achieve something than the other alternatives.

6. May 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm

They are playing for a Conservative/Ukip pact by 2015. I think that’s a long shot, and I’m all for chaos and scandal (big Labour majority on 1/3 votes, protests etc.). I hope Ukip will stick it out to cause maximum damage at the 2015 election before they make any deals.

7. May 17, 2013 at 10:55 am

It’s a bit early to predict, but I would imagine UKIP will want to work at the constituency level to establish a deal not to stand against pro-independence incumbents, but there are not many of them at present. This will allow them to concentrate their fire to unseat the europhiles. At time shortens we may see some of the spineless Tory eurosceptics taking a firmer stand, or, if things drift on, they will instead keep their heads down and stay loyal to Cameron.

The priority now for UKIP in my view is to go into the Labour heartlands and do some damage there.

8. May 17, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Farage isn’t listening to you, he’s in Scotland, quite probably wasting his time.