We must debate the content of extremist Islam

Sir

Theresa May correctly condemns an evil ideology behind terror attacks. These ideas must be identified, separated, criticised and debunked in academia, media, offices, pubs and in the street.

Speaking out is our least destructive weapon. But once understood, mocked, and condemned then evil can be defeated. People of every color and creed must debate the content of extremist Islam, and do so openly and vigorously.

Yet we deny the use of our entire literary arsenal to decent law abiding people. The web of laws suppressing frank criticism of Islam must be repealed.

Signed

Vivian Hugh Russell Waine
Adrian Stefanczyk
Daniel Thomas
Dr. Danny Weston
Emma Wilde
Adam Williamson

Associated image by Dun.can. Modified for tone.

Simon is a London based IT contractor and the proprietor of Libertarian Home. Working with logic and cause-and-effect each day he was naturally attracted to nerdy libertarianism and later to the benevolent logic of Objectivism. Find him on Google+

6 comments for “We must debate the content of extremist Islam

1. Simon Fawthrop
    Jun 6, 2017 at 5:57 am

Hi Simon,

It wouldn’t let me fill out the form. I tried FF and Vivaldi.

• Jun 6, 2017 at 6:58 am

Works for me in Safari. Unfortunately there is little I can do to fix a Google Form. Let’s hope no-one else has the same problem.

2. Daniel Thomas
    Jun 6, 2017 at 5:23 pm

It worked for me eventually but took a couple of minutes to load.

3. Julie near Chicago
    Jun 10, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Well, it told me my signature has been recorded. :>))

• Jun 11, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Thanks Julie.

The letter was submitted and was not printed. You win some, you loose some.

• Julie near Chicago
        Jun 13, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Simon, in this case I won some. To wit, your “Related Items” list suggests the LH piece “The Politics of Jeff Bezos.” Looked to me like an interesting excursion; so out I coursed, if you see what I mean. There, the “Related Items” list contained a piece by Richard Carey, “Libertarianism: What I Think It Is”:

This piece is extraordinarily clear in both its thinking and its expression, and well worth the time it took to get from reading your posting above to Mr. Carey’s.

I agree with almost all of the piece. That is why I once wrote, somewhere, that libertarianism is an applied philosophy in search of a foundation, or words to that effect. I meant the ongoing discussion among libertarians as to what, if any, is the moral basis in philosophy of libertarianism. [Side note: Miss Rand insisted over and over that the foundation of Objectivist political philosophy has to be built on a proper (rational, coherent, reality-based) moral philosophy.]

But that’s not all. In the excellent comment stream, Mr. Carey links to Ernst Benn’s 1929 book The Return to Laissez Faire, which deals, among other things, with the origin of the term “individualism.” I have now downloaded the book, from

So thanks to you for the posting above that started this browsing in the Cyberstacks, and to Richard Carey for his excellent essay and Mr. Benn’s book’s current residence on my machine. :>))