Principled Brexit resignations from libertarian leaning MPs

Ministers are resigning rather than back Theresa May’s softest-possible-Brexit plan.

So far:

• David Davis
  • Boris Johnson
  • Steve Baker

David Davis spoke at the launch of Big Brother Watch. Steve Baker addressed liberty league and did much better than others might have done, and Boris is Boris. I think they have all been described as libertarian at some point.

Discuss.

Simon is a London based IT contractor and the proprietor of Libertarian Home. Working with logic and cause-and-effect each day he was naturally attracted to nerdy libertarianism and later to the benevolent logic of Objectivism. Find him on Google+

Tags:

7 comments for “Principled Brexit resignations from libertarian leaning MPs

1. Steve Kerby
    Jul 10, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Hadn’t heard of Steve Baker, but he seems like a good libertarian egg. I’ve always been an admirer of the council house Tory David Davis, believing him to be the most principled man in politics. And Boris is, as you say, Boris.

It’s turmoil, but maybe, sometimes turmoil is necessary. Brexit was turmoil. Trump was turmoil. UKIP may be on the skids, but then they have just recruited four prominent (and young) libertarian(ish) YouTubers and personalities, because of their libertarian policies. Together they have millions of subscribers on their channels.

If people were bold enough, I see an opportunity for some beneficial cross-pollination.

2. Tamiris
    Jul 10, 2018 at 1:30 pm

I wish Boris hadn’t taken the role in the first place. He has ruined his reputation and now that everything is crumbling, most people will turn to Labour for leadership.

3. Paul Marks
    Jul 10, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Mrs May has revealed herself to be a liar – breaking her word to deliver British independence from the European Union.

It is not enough to resign – supporters of freedom, such as Steve Baker, must work to remove Mrs May. Being shocked and saddened at her deceptions is no good on its own – there must be real work to remove this person from office.

4. Trent
    Jul 16, 2018 at 10:07 am

I am not so sure Boris is that Libertarian, I’m thinking Garden Bridge and Boris Bikes as particularly hard to justify. He should have gone over Heathrow really, which was a cowardly affair. Fair play to Davis though, it seems like he was never given the requisite authority needed to carry out his role effectively in the first place.

As to your mention of the youtubers Steve, I have found Carl Benjamin in particular speaks very well, but then occasionally says, well, very unsavoury things. While he has every right to, it does occasionally feel like he sometimes says them just to show he has the right to if you catch my drift, and not in a particularly endearing way.

• Jul 16, 2018 at 11:55 am

Trent. I agree with impression of Carl Benjamin. Boris has I believe been described as libertarian on a few occasions. I likewise fear the truth is rather different.

• Trent
        Jul 17, 2018 at 7:17 am

Have you seen or heard much about these other two? I haven’t had much of a chance myself yet. I suppose even if they don’t have the most pleasant personalities they are certainly having some success drawing attention to the debate – I have seen Benjamin self-describe as a ‘classic liberal’ a couple of times which is a rarity.

5. Devil's Kitchen
    Jul 16, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Many year’s ago, I adopted Steve Baker as my bog mascot—he has never given me cause to regret doing so…

DK